As those of you with iPhones may already know, v1.3 of the WhitePages Mobile app is now live in the App Store!
This new version represents a huge step forward for our most popular mobile app – and if past updates are any indication, there will be quite a few of you already trying it out and using the new features.
I’ll go ahead and get one thing out of the way — we now have in-app advertising. Thankfully, most people understand that this is a necessary part of most high quality free apps. What some people may not know is how hard it is to make it all work! Ad standards are still emerging for apps so it took a lot of hard work from Jen Fraum and Cory Gaddis on our ad team to get an ad platform all teed up and ready to deliver campaigns! We signed on Continental as our “pilot” (ahem) sponsor and expect more to come soon.
Of course we wouldn’t want to *just* release a new version with ads – we’ve added a number of important improvements to make the app a whole lot “smarter” and easier to use. How, you ask…?
– The app remembers where you left off. Need to shut down the app to make a call, answer a text, or surf the web? Go for it! Now, no need to worry about re-entering your search info or starting from scratch. The WhitePages app restarts exactly where you left it, without a keystroke to waste. Even during a session, your most recent search is always stored so you can modify your search without having to re-type all of the info.
– The app knows where you are. WhitePages Mobile
has been using GPS in different ways for a while, but now we’re auto-populating new searches with your current location to help save typing. Combined with the auto-suggest we added in v1.2, searching for businesses nearby just got fantastically fast – find your nearest gas station with (literally) 3 taps.
– The app can count. If there’s only one “Kyle Myers” in Seattle (and, if you know Kyle, that sure is true) and you’re searching for him, then the app will go directly to the listing page – no extra pages or clicks required.
– Save to phone contacts now works great. We’ve had a few nagging issues with how the app labels home, work and business info, as well as some issues working with Exchange and other contact sync methods to make contacts stay up to date over the air. We’ve hammered those out so now it’s easier than ever to keep your phone (and PC/Mac) contacts up to date with WhitePages.
– Other nice bug fixes. Also included: we fixed some issues with map linkouts, fixed the page spacing in OS 3.0, and added enhanced listings with household, work and company info to our Reverse Phone searches.
Download v1.3 now from iTunes and let us know what you think – and if you like it, don’t forget to leave a great rating & review on iTunes!!
Comments, question, concers? Just let me know below.