Before we fire up the grill and put out the potato salad, we decided to dig into some data and see how many people in the U.S. share names with some of our country’s most patriotic founders.
Interestingly, John Adams (9,893 people), Robert Morris (7,367 people), and John Hancock (1,616 people), are the top three most common names of our Founding Fathers.
Rounding out the Top 5 in the list of the 14 most popular Founding Fathers names are George Washington (1,513 people) and Samuel Adams (1,100 people).
Guess which state has the most people who share names with the Founding Fathers
And of note is where you’ll find most of these citizens: Florida was the 27th state to join Union, but it’s the number one state for patriotic names.
And while Betsy Ross may not be a Founding Father, we included her on the list at number fourteen, with 163 people in the United States sharing the name. The state with the most Betsy Rosses? Again, it’s Florida!
Popular Founding Fathers Names Shared with People in the U.S.
- John Adams: 9,893; 789 in FL
- Robert Morris – 7,367; 587 in FL
- John Hancock – 1,616; 184 in TX
- George Washington – 1,513; 133 in TX
- Samuel Adams – 1,100; 75 in GA
- Patrick Henry – 1,004; 100 in FL
- James Madison – 753; 55 in CA
- Thomas Jefferson – 522; 52 in TX
- Benjamin Franklin – 401; 38 in CA
- John Witherspoon – 309; 36 in NC
- John Jay – 282; 38 in TX
- Alexander Hamilton – 269; 25 in NY
- Thomas Paine – 179; 20 in CA
- Betsy Ross – 163; 17 in FL