Yes, Virginia, Florence, and Victoria: Most Popular Names Shared With Places
In honor of summer travel, we took a look at the most popular names in the country that are shared with travel destinations. While there are plenty of places named after people, like Lincoln, Nebraska, and Washington, D.C., we found that Virginia tops the list with 577,805 people sharing the name – most of them living in West Virginia.
Florence (Italy, and cities in AL, OR, and SC) and Victoria (TX, Canada) tied for second place with 404,327 people sharing the name, most common in Hawaii and New Mexico, respectively. Brittany (as in France, 350,775 people) and Charlotte (as in NC, VT, 254,489 people), round out the Top 5.
There are lots of people named after exciting travel destinations like Paris, Asia, and India, which makes you wonder if their parents are world travelers, or better yet, if these people were conceived in these destinations. However, we loved seeing national pride reflected in the amount of people named America here in the United States (2,852 people).
Our list breaks down the states where the people with these most common names are living. Interestingly enough, California (121 people) and Bronx (21 people), are most common in their respective states.
Don’t worry about packing a bag or filling up the gas tank – take a tour of the most popular names shared with travel destinations below:
- Virginia: 577,805; W. Virginia has the most
- Florence (Italy, Alabama, Oregon & South Carolina): 404,327; Hawaii has the most
3. Victoria (TX, Canada): 404,327; New Mexico has the most
4. Brittany (France): 350,775; Kentucky has the most
5. Charlotte (North Carolina, Vermont): 254,489 girls; W. Virginia has the most
6. Chelsea (London, New York City): 133,470; Utah has the most
7. Georgia: 113,695; Mississippi has the most
8. Carolina (North & South): 57,164; California has the most
9. Madison (WI, NJ): 28,882; Utah has the most
10. Sydney: 43,133; Utah has the most
11. Savannah (Georgia): 28,082; Kentucky has the most
12. Madeleine (Islands, Quebec, Canada): 17,551; New Hampshire has the most
13. Asia: 15,088; Washington, DC has the most
14. Paris: 14,931; Washington, DC has the most